Any company that is in any way involved with the handling, processing, producing, transporting, and/or storing of flammable and combustible gases and liquids, combustible solids, explosible powders/dusts, and/or reactive chemicals would require our process safety services.
Metals & Machining
The metals industries present their own specific decomposition, explosion, and fire problems due to the hazardous nature of some metals in powder form. The factors that make some metal powders particularly hazardous include the following:
- Explosion temperatures and pressures for most metals is not limited by dissociation of carbon dioxide and water vapor and can reach ~3,500ºC and ~12barg [Al] respectively. In contrast, explosion temperatures and pressures for most organic materials are limited to ~2,300ºC and ~9barg.
- Water reactivity leading to generation of highly flammable hydrogen gas
- Fresh metal surfaces can be pyrophoric causing high-energy Thermite reaction
- Electrical conductivity of metal dusts can cause shorting of electrical devices
- Some metal dust explosions can create very high rates of pressure rise making explosion protection very challenging
We partner with our clients in the metals and machining industries to help them identify, assess, prevent, and control fire, explosion, and accidental loss of containment hazards in their operations. Our services include expert consulting, laboratory testing, and training in the specialist fields of dust explosion & fire hazards, electrostatic hazards & processing problems, gas & vapor flammability hazards, Process Hazard Analysis, and incident investigation.